Puerto Rican rapper and singer
Emmanuel Gazmey Santiago (born 26 November 1992), recognized professionally as Anuel AA, is a Puerto Rican rapper and singer. He’s thought-about a pioneer of the Latin lure motion and his lyrics typically talk about crime and concrete life in Puerto Rico. His music typically comprises samples and interpolations of songs that have been fashionable throughout his youth. He’s seen as a controversial determine within the Latin music scene for his authorized troubles and feuds with fellow Puerto Rican rappers Cosculluela and Ivy Queen and with the American rapper 6ix9ine.
Raised in Carolina, Puerto Rico, he began recording music at age fourteen and commenced posting it on-line 4 years later in 2010, earlier than ultimately signing to the Latin division of American rapper Rick Ross’s Maybach Music Group. His 2016 mixtape Actual Hasta la Muerte was well-received, however his success was placed on maintain the identical yr by a 30-month jail sentence for unlawful firearm possession in Puerto Rico. He recorded the whole lot of his debut album whereas incarcerated, as his music style elevated in recognition whereas serving his sentence.
Anuel AA launched his debut album, additionally titled Actual Hasta la Muerte, on July 17, 2018, the day he was launched from jail. The album was a crucial and business success. Within the coming six months, he appeared on the Billboard Sizzling Latin Songs, solidifying his place as one of many prime Latino artists. In August 2019, he launched the track “China”, a collaboration with Daddy Yankee, Karol G, Ozuna, and J Balvin, which was a world success. He has since launched the hit track “Me Gusta” with Shakira, and his second album, Emmanuel, which was launched on Could 29, 2020.
1992–2016: Youth and profession beginnings
Anuel AA grew up in a housing mission in Carolina, Puerto Rico. His father is Afro-Puerto Rican and his mom, who was raised in Milwaukee, is of White Puerto Rican descent; Anuel AA has defined that he has skilled racism since childhood for being mixed-race. His father, José Gazmey, was vice chairman of the Puerto Rican division of Sony Music Leisure’s A&R division. When Anuel AA was a baby, his father labored within the studio with salsa artists equivalent to Héctor Lavoe and Fania All-Stars. Whereas he doesn’t establish as a fan of the salsa style, Anuel AA recollects that seeing his father work together with these artists impressed an curiosity within the recording business. Nevertheless, his father misplaced his job when Anuel AA was fifteen years previous, which positioned monetary pressure on the household and led him to change into what Rolling Stone journal described as a “son of the streets”.
He idolized Tupac Shakur whereas rising up and aspired to emulate his type of gown, notably his emphasis on jewellery. He’s childhood mates with Puerto Rican rapper Casper, who co-wrote, and carried out on, the monitor “Te Boté”. Talking about how his upbringing within the tasks influenced his music, Anuel AA said, “My music is my soul talking, actually. It’s non secular. It has a variety of emotions, a variety of ache. It’s my experiences rising up en la calle [in the streets].” He started recording music at age fourteen, and began posting it on-line at age 18 in 2010. His music garnered hundreds of thousands of streams and views and ultimately caught the eye of American rapper Rick Ross, who signed him to the Latin division of Maybach Music Group. His mixtape Actual Hasta La Muerte was launched in February 2016 and obtained optimistic evaluations from critics. The success of this mixtape result in Anuel AA touchdown a visitor function on Ozuna’s 2017 album Odisea.
2016–2018: Incarceration and Actual Hasta la Muerte album
In April 2016, Anuel AA was arrested in Guaynabo, Puerto Rico, and sentenced to 30 months in federal jail for unlawful possession of three firearms.Billboard famous that Latin lure surged in recognition whereas Anuel AA was in jail, writing, “Anuel remained behind bars, whereas exterior, his music flourished.” After being arrested and imprisoned, he recorded his debut album whereas incarcerated. He did this by primarily recording his vocals over the telephone and making the most of his obligatory keep at a Miami midway home to finish the album.
He launched his debut album Actual Hasta la Muerte on July 17, 2018, the day he was launched from jail.Rolling Stone included it on its checklist of Finest Latin Albums of 2018, noting that the artist “demonstrates spectacular pop instincts” and additional commented, “As Anuel retains one foot in lure, he’s additionally trying towards Latin pop’s mainstream”.Actual Hasta la Muerte peaked at quantity 42 on the Billboard 200 and topped the US Prime Latin Albums chart. The discharge of the album, together with the artist’s launch from jail, garnered important media consideration; the rapper was shocked by the general public response and said that he “did not even know how one can discuss in interviews” after being incarcerated for greater than two years. He achieved his first Billboard Sizzling 100 hit in August 2018 by his collaboration with American rapper 6ix9ine on the track “Bebe”.
Within the six months following the discharge of Actual Hasta la Muerte, Anuel AA contributed vocals to eleven Billboard Sizzling Latin Songs-charting singles, together with “Ella Quiere Beber” that includes Dominican-American bachata singer Romeo Santos. He additionally collaborated with Nicki Minaj on the track “Familia” for Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse soundtrack, launched in December 2018. In January 2019, the rapper launched the one “Secreto” with Colombian singer Karol G, confirming the romantic relationship between the 2 artists within the track’s accompanying music video. The one reached quantity 68 on the Billboard Sizzling 100 and quantity 5 on the US Sizzling Latin Songs charts. The track was impressed by the point when Anuel AA and Karol G have been courting however had not but publicly mentioned their relationship. The video’s “energy couple” aesthetic garnered comparisons to Beyoncé and Jay-Z in addition to Jennifer Lopez and Marc Anthony.
2019–current: “China” success and Emmanuel
In July 2019, Anuel AA launched “China”, a collaboration with Daddy Yankee, Karol G, Ozuna, and J Balvin. The track closely samples Shaggy’s 2000 single, “It Wasn’t Me”. With the track, Anuel AA “hoped to revive a basic”, and began listening to previous songs and remembered Shaggy’s monitor from his childhood. He informed XXL that “once I used to go along with the massive boys in my hood to the membership, they put that track on and everyone used to go loopy”. “China” debuted at quantity two on Billboard‘s Sizzling Latin Songs chart and topped each the Latin Digital Songs and Latin Streaming Songs charts with 1,000 downloads offered and 14.1 million streams, whereas the accompanying video was included on the Rolling Stone checklist of the 10 Finest Latin Music Movies of July. Anuel AA later appeared on the one “Whine Up” from Nicky Jam’s album Íntimo, launched on November 1, 2019.
In January 2020, Anuel AA collaborated with Shakira on the track “Me Gusta”, which interpolates Jamaican reggae band Interior Circle’s 1992 hit “Sweat (A La La La La Lengthy)”.Rolling Stone known as the track “an unhurried lover’s rock quantity with a fragile contact of dembow”. He featured on Unhealthy Bunny’s 2020 album YHLQMDLG on the track “Está Cabrón Ser Yo”. On April 3, 2020, Anuel AA launched “Three De Abril” which commemorates the day that the artist was arrested, resulting in jail time. The track displays on his troubled youth and the challenges he confronted whereas incarcerated. Suzy Exposito of Rolling Stone known as the monitor a “sobering commemoration”. Additionally in April 2020, Anuel AA launched the one and video for “Comply with” with Karol G, recording it completely whereas in quarantine in Miami because of the COVID-19 pandemic.
On Could 27, 2020, he introduced and revealed the tracklist for his second album, Emmanuel, which was launched on Could 29. Anuel AA had initially deliberate to launch the album in April, however postponed the date because of the pandemic. On the day of the album’s launch, he promoted it by launching three luxurious yachts off the coast of Miami’s Isle of Normandy neighborhood. Every yacht had the identify Emmanuel written on the aspect and performed his music at excessive quantity. The rapper defined his promotional technique by saying, “Everyone does their launch get together in a membership. And with coronavirus? I wouldn’t go to the membership proper now!” The 22-track double album options collaborations from Unhealthy Bunny, Enrique Iglesias, Travis Barker, Tego Calderón, Karol G, Lil Wayne, Farruko, Yandel and Ñengo Movement. Concerning the title of the album, the artist defined, “It is my identify and it means ‘God with us’. I wished the album to have that good vibe. It is my life, made into music.”
Musical type and influences
Based on XXL, Anuel AA is taken into account “one of many founding fathers of Latin lure music”. He’s famous for his signature “BRRR” adlib, which is supposed to imitate the sound of an computerized firearm. Anuel AA’s lyrics typically talk about intercourse, crime, and life on the streets. Paul Simpson of Allmusic described his lyrics as “too risqué to be performed on the radio” and highlighted that his success has as an alternative stemmed from streaming companies and the artist’s extremely energetic social media presence. Gary Suarez of Vice considered his 2018 album Actual Hasta la Muerte as a set of each “gleaming lure bangers” and “reggaeton crowd pleasers”. Regardless of his “unhealthy man picture”, Suarez wrote that the relationship-themed songs “Culpables” and “Secreto” signify “a softening of his hardened trapero persona”. Anuel AA is famous for his use of the phrase “bebecita” (“child”) in songs and on social media, and the phrase has change into related to the reggaeton style in addition to Anuel AA and Karol G’s relationship.
Anuel AA’s introduction to hip-hop occurred upon listening to rapper Tupac Shakur. His songs incessantly pay homage to each U.S. and Latin artists that influenced him in his youth. Examples embrace “China” which samples each “It Wasn’t Me” by Shaggy and “Ella Me Levantó” by Daddy Yankee, and “Delincuente” which interpolates “Bandoleros” by Don Omar and Tego Calderón. He’s influenced by, and has collaborated with, American hip-hop artists Meek Mill and Gucci Mane. Anuel AA has additionally been in comparison with the 2 rappers for gaining notoriety for serving time in jail. Describing Meek Mill’s influence on his music, Anuel AA defined, “I hearken to what individuals say within the songs, not simply the melodies. With rappers you gotta hearken to what they are saying. And, Meek be speaking some actual shit. That’s why I look as much as him.” In an interview with Vice, he expressed admiration for the music of bachata artist Zacarías Ferreíra, Dominican dembow rapper El Alfa, and English singer-songwriter Ed Sheeran. He has additionally indicated an curiosity in collaborating with Put up Malone and Billie Eilish.
On September 15, 2018, Anuel AA launched a diss monitor known as “Intocable” aimed toward fellow rapper Cosculluela. The monitor was extensively criticized because of its profanity and remarks about homosexuality and HIV/AIDS sufferers. Within the track, he refers to transgender mannequin and tv host La Taína as a “pig” for her HIV-positive standing. Because of the public backlash, Anuel AA’s live performance on the Coliseo de Puerto Rico venue, scheduled for October 12 of that yr, was canceled by his manufacturing employees and most important producer Paco López. Anuel AA later issued an apology for the track. He defined, “It’s the worst mistake of my profession. I don’t want this and I apologize to all of the individuals I offended. To homosexuals, to individuals with AIDS, to La Taina [the model] and to those that misplaced the whole lot after Hurricane Maria … My followers deserve from me to be a greater individual, and I apologize to everybody in Puerto Rico.”
In early April 2019, Anuel AA and Ivy Queen engaged in an argument on Instagram after Anuel AA questioned how Ivy Queen may very well be nonetheless thought-about the “Queen of Reggaeton.” Anuel argued she hadn’t had a success track in additional than 7 years, and additional questioned if Karol G ought to be thought-about one other “Queen of Reggaeton.” Followers on Instagram speculated about why he made the feedback. Ivy Queen responded with feedback about the place she got here from and the way she was a pioneer, paving the way in which for different ladies to observe.
Anuel AA has a son named Pablo Anuel from his former partner, Astrid Cuevas. Anuel AA met Colombian singer Karol G in August 2018 on the set of the music video for his or her track “Culpables”, a month after his launch from jail. In January 2019, Anuel AA and Karol G confirmed their relationship. On April 25, 2019, Karol G arrived on the Billboard Latin Music Awards carrying a “large” diamond ring, confirming the couple’s engagement.
Anuel AA was arrested and held within the Metropolitan Detention Heart, Guaynabo on April 3, 2016, with three companions when police discovered three pistols together with one stolen, 9 magazines, and 152 bullets. He signed a plea deal, accepting a 30-month sentence in federal jail, on gun possession expenses. Following his arrest, the #FreeAnuel motion turned fashionable amongst his followers as he continued to launch tracks from jail by recording his voice over the telephone.
Whereas incarcerated, Anuel AA spent 90 days in solitary confinement following an incident with one other inmate. Throughout his trial, he said that the lyrics in his music didn’t signify his true character. The presiding choose Aida Delgado-Colon stated she had by no means heard any of his songs. In March 2018, Anuel AA was launched from federal jail right into a state jail in Miami. Throughout this time, he informed Billboard that whereas imprisoned, he saved listening to the radio and to what was occurring within the streets, to attract inspiration for his songwriting.
Awards and nominations
- Simpson, Paul. “Anuel AA – Artist Biography”. Allmusic. Retrieved April 16, 2020.
- Leandra, Victoria (August 20, 2019). “Why Latin Entice Pioneer Anuel AA Is At the moment Obsessive about Ed Sheeran”. Vice. Retrieved April 16, 2020.
- Exposito, Suzy (June 19, 2020). “Anuel AA Would Wish to Reintroduce Himself in New ‘Emmanuel’ LP”. Rolling Stone. Retrieved June 19, 2020.
- Flores, Griselda (April 16, 2020). “Anuel AA & Casper Magico Make Magic With New Collab ‘Sola & Vacía’: Unique”. Billboard. Retrieved April 16, 2020.
- Suarez, Gary (July 27, 2018). “The Return of Latin Entice’s Most Infamous Star, Anuel AA”. Vice. Retrieved April 16, 2020.
- Exposito, Suzy (April 3, 2020). “Anuel AA Commemorates Jailversary on New Observe ‘Three de Abril‘“. Rolling Stone. Retrieved April 16, 2020.
- “Anuel AA Talks Love, Fame & Jail in New Billboard Podcast ‘El Issue Latino‘“. Billboard. August 23, 2019. Retrieved April 16, 2020.
- “10 Finest Latin Albums of 2018”. Rolling Stone. December 20, 2018. Retrieved April 16, 2020.
- “Anuel AA Chart Historical past (Billboard 200)”. Billboard. Retrieved April 7, 2019.
- “Anuel AA Chart Historical past (Prime Latin Albums)”. Billboard. Retrieved April 7, 2019.
- Suarez, Gary (July 17, 2019). “An Impartial Latin Entice Success Story, Anuel AA Rehabs His Unhealthy Man Picture”. Forbes. Retrieved Could 7, 2020.
- Leight, Elias (January 24, 2019). “Anuel AA and Karol G’s Relationship Wasn’t Secret, However ‘Secreto’ Blew Up Anyway”. Rolling Stone. Retrieved April 16, 2020.
- Fernandez, Suzette (December 9, 2019). “Anuel AA Talks About His Tour, 6ix9ine, Nicki Minaj and Extra: Unique”. Billboard. Retrieved April 16, 2020.
- “Anuel AA & Karol G Open Up About Their Steamy Love Life in ‘Secreto’ Lyric Translation”. Billboard. January 18, 2019. Retrieved April 16, 2020.
- “Anuel AA Chart Historical past (Sizzling 100)”. Billboard. Retrieved April 16, 2020.
- “Anuel AA Chart Historical past (Sizzling Latin Songs)”. Billboard. Retrieved April 16, 2020.
- Bustios, Pamela (July 31, 2019). “‘China’ Debuts at No. 2 on Sizzling Latin Songs Chart for Anuel AA, Daddy Yankee, Karol G, Ozuna & J Balvin”. Billboard. Retrieved August 1, 2019.
- Torres, Bianca (July 22, 2019). “Hip-Hop Junkie: Anuel AA Sees Parallels Between Himself and Meek Mill”. XXL. Retrieved August 3, 2019.
- Exposito, Suzy (July 31, 2019). “Play It Once more: The 10 Finest Latin Music Movies of July”. Rolling Stone. Retrieved April 16, 2020.
- “Viva Friday Playlist: Nicky Jam’s ‘Intimo’ Album & Extra”. Billboard. November 1, 2019. Retrieved April 17, 2020.
- Exposito, Suzy (January 13, 2020). “Hear Shakira, Anuel AA Yearn for Romance in New Music, ‘Me Gusta‘“. Rolling Stone. Retrieved April 16, 2020.
- Flores, Griselda (March 2, 2020). “6 Important Tracks on Unhealthy Bunny’s ‘YHLQMDLG’: Editors’ Picks”. Billboard. Retrieved Could 8, 2020.
- Mahadevan, Tara C. (April 3, 2020). “Anuel AA Displays On Being Arrested 4 Years In the past With New Music “Three De Abril““. Advanced. Retrieved April 16, 2020.
- Cobo, Leila (Could 27, 2020). “Anuel Reveals ‘Emmanuel’ Album Launch Date, Plus Observe Listing”. Billboard. Retrieved Could 27, 2020.
- Espinoza, Joshua (Could 28, 2020). “Anuel AA Drops Double Album ‘Emmanuel’ f/ Unhealthy Bunny, Lil Wayne, and Extra”. Advanced. Retrieved Could 29, 2020.
- “Reggaeton Slang 101: Decoding the Lyrics in Latin City Music”. Billboard. January 16, 2020. Retrieved Could 4, 2020.
- “From ‘Vaina Loca’ to ‘Bebesita,’ How City Artists Declare Their Love in Reggaeton Songs”. Billboard. February 13, 2019. Retrieved Could 4, 2020.
- “Anuel AA, Farruko & Extra City Artists Revive Previous-College Reggaeton Hits: See the Listing”. Billboard. July 23, 2019. Retrieved Could 4, 2020.
- Fernandez, Suzette (13 September 2018). “Anuel AA Apologizes For Offensive Music Directed at Cosculluela: Watch”. Billboard. Retrieved 29 December 2018.
- Arroyo, Juan J. (September 13, 2018). “Anuel AA Apologizes for Homophobic Diss Observe: “This Has Been My Largest Mistake““. Remezcla. Retrieved April 16, 2020.
- Herrera, Isabelia (April 8, 2019). “Ivy Queen Responds After Anuel AA Questions Her Title because the Queen of Reggaeton”. Remezcla. Retrieved 6 June 2019.
- Fernandez, Suzette (2019-04-09). “Anuel AA se enfrenta a Ivy Queen tras nombrar reina del reggaetón a Karol G” [Anuel AA faces Ivy Queen after naming Karol G the Queen of Reggaeton]. La República (in Spanish). Retrieved 2019-04-21.
- “Anuel AA confiesa que Karol G salvó la relación con su hijo – El Diario NY”. El Diario La Prensa (in Spanish). October 18, 2019. Retrieved December 24, 2019.
- Fernandez, Celia (Could 2, 2019). “Inside Karol G and Anuel AA’s Whirlwind Relationship”. Oprah Journal. Retrieved April 16, 2020.
- “Anuel AA: El cantante de lure salió de la cárcel tras cumplir 30 meses de condena” [Anuel AA: The trap singer was released from prison after serving 30 months of sentence]. El Heraldo (in Spanish). 15 Could 2018. Retrieved 29 December 2018.
- Pacheco, Istra (2017-06-19). “Anuel AA sentenciado a 30 meses de cárcel” [Anuel AA sentenced to 30 months in prison]. Primera Hora (Puerto Rico) (in Spanish). Retrieved 2018-09-11.
- Herrera, Isabelia (2018-07-18). “Anuel AA Opens Up About His Time in Jail in First Interviews After His Launch”. Remezcla. Retrieved 2018-09-11.
- “Right here Are All of the Winners From the 2019 Teen Selection Awards”. Billboard. August 11, 2019. Retrieved October 9, 2020.
- “Right here Are All of the 2019 E! Individuals’s Selection Awards Winners”. Billboard. November 10, 2019. Retrieved October 9, 2020.
- “THESE ARE THE BIG WINNERS AT THE 2019 MTV EMA”. MTV. Viacom. November 3, 2019. Retrieved October 9, 2020.
- “NOMINADOS 2020: Premios Tu Música Urbana”. Premios Tu Música Urbano 2020. Retrieved October 9, 2020.
- “Latin American Music Awards 2019: See the Full Listing of Nominees”. Billboard. September 4, 2019. Retrieved October 9, 2020.
- “Billboard Latin Music Awards 2019: The entire Finest Performances, Largest Winners and Most Memorable Moments”. ET On-line. April 27, 2019. Retrieved October 9, 2020.
- “Maluma, Unhealthy Bunny and Anuel AA Lead Premios Juventud Nominations: Full Listing”. Billboard. Could 21, 2019. Retrieved October 9, 2020.
- “2019 Premio Lo Nuestro: Full Listing of Winners”. Leisure Tonight. February 21, 2019. Retrieved October 9, 2020.
- “J Balvin Tops Warmth Latin Music Awards Nominations: See Full Listing”. Billboard. November 21, 2018. Retrieved October 9, 2020.
- “2019 Billboard Music Awards Winners: The Full Listing”. Billboard. Could 1, 2019. Retrieved October 9, 2020.
- “2019 MTV VMA WINNERS: SEE THE FULL LIST”. August 26, 2019. Retrieved October 9, 2020.
- “MTV Video Music Awards: The Full Winners Listing”. Selection. August 30, 2020. Retrieved October 9, 2020.
- “Premios Juventud 2020: The Full Winners Listing”. August 13, 2020. Retrieved October 9, 2020.
- “Daddy Yankee Wins Massive at Premio Lo Nuestro 2020: See Full Listing”. Billboard. February 20, 2020. Retrieved October 9, 2020.
- Flores, Griselda (October 21, 2020). “Daddy Yankee & Unhealthy Bunny Win Massive at 2020 Billboard Latin Music Awards: Full Winners Listing”. Billboard. Retrieved October 30, 2020.
- “2020 Latin GRAMMY Awards Nominees Introduced: See The Full Listing”. Latin Recording Academy. September 29, 2020. Retrieved October 9, 2020.